Christian Service News 10-8-2017
“Be doers of the Word, and not hearers only” (James 1:22)
I hope everyone is healthy and ready to work. Our day of mercy is next Saturday morning, October 14. If you have not registered for an activity to show your love for your neighbor, please do so by Tuesday October 10. If you are shopping someplace this week where they sell sandwich meat and sliced cheese, please keep our sandwich making activity in mind. We are hoping to make 800 sandwiches. Although we have some donations, we still need the following:
- About 150 pounds of sliced sandwich meat, and
- About 50 pounds of sliced cheese
Any kind of sliced meat or cheese would be welcome; and any amount (i.e. 1 lb., 2 lb., etc). I am confident the Lord will provide. By the way is He calling your name?
Mercy in Action Day of Service (October 14) List of Projects:
- Registration, Light Breakfast, Opening Prayer (8 am to 8:30 am)
- Eucharistic Adoration & Rosary (9 am to 10:30 am)
- Donating blood (9 am to 3 pm): Register online using the code “stmaryro”
- Collecting used adult weatherproof boots (men’s size 9-13) all day
- Writing letters to those imprisoned in the Oakland County jail (9 am to 11:30 am)
- Making cards for the infirmed at Veterans Hospital (9 am to 11:30 am)
- Writing letters to those in nursing homes, homebound, and sick (9 am to 11:30 am)
- Learning how to pray the rosary and making one for the missions (9 am to 11 am)
- Making sandwiches for the hungry 9 am to 11 am
- Assembling Survival kits for those in need of shelter 9 am to 11:30 am
- Fall yard clean-up at Mary’s Mantle (a shelter for homeless ladies with child)
- Deep cleaning of common areas inside Mary’s Children Center (a shelter for the ill)
- Cleaning Sanctum House (a shelter for human trafficking victims)
Halloween Candy for the Seminary: The seminarians at Sacred Heart Major Seminary have once again asked us to collect Halloween candy for their annual celebration with their neighborhood children. Each year more than a thousand children and their parents embark on the Seminary for “Trick or Treat.” The seminarians pass out candy and have fun playing games with the children. Please look for the orange plastic bin in the back of Church or in the Fellowship Center Vestibule where you can drop off a bag of candy. If you cannot find a bin, then please drop it at the Parish Office.
St. Mary Clothes Closet: During the month of September, we helped about 70 guests with shoes, socks, underwear, jeans, and light jackets. As the weather gets cooler we are getting more requests for hoodies, jackets, sweatshirts, and jeans. If you have any men’s or ladies clothes that are still in fair condition but you no longer want, please keep our Clothes Closet in mind. Drop offs can be made any weekday between 9 am and 4 pm.
INVITATION TO ALL LADIES: "Discipleship: Reflection to Action" is the theme for the Day of Reflection with Father Bob Ytsen, S.J. on Thursday, October 19. Sponsored by the South Oakland Vicariate, Council of Catholic Women, all women are invited--not necessary to be Catholic or a member of CCW. Gathering time is 9:30 a.m. - program begins at 10 a.m. Location is the Manresa Retreat Center, 1390 Quarton Road (16 Mile Road) at Woodward, Bloomfield, MI. Cost is $25. Lunch is included, program ends at 3 p.m. For reservations or questions, call Betty at 248-548-3724. Tickets must be purchased in advance, none will be sold at the door.
May God bless you for everything you do to support St. Mary parish. We appreciate it more than you even know.
George Krinke, your Christian Service Coordinator